Sunday, June 15, 2008

Self and Unit Evaluation

Regarding your own performance:

1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of? I am most proud of the cell (and corresponding) models I made. I thought they were pretty creative and I had fun making them. The truth is, I learned the material so much more effectively with that hands-on assignment than all of the reading. There were concepts that became much more clear (ie, transcription and translation) to me after the lab, and I enjoyed the process. I was proud of myself for making sense of the dinosaur and punnett square activities. I remember some of this material from high school, and though I had a hard time with it then, it made much more sense to me this time around. Finally, I'm proud of the time and committment I put into the compendium reviews.

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement? Well, I could have received higher scores on the quizzes. I could also work on my organization of material now that I'm typing directly into the blog. It really frustrated me this first time around, but now that I know what to expect, I could try to figure out a way to make it all present in the right order, etc. (Aside from typing everything in backwards, which confuses me.) :)

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit? Honestly? If I don't get an "A" I might seriously have a stroke. :) J/K. But I do think I deserve an "A", because I worked harder in this class than I have ever had to work in a class before! (I have a BA.) I put in hours and hours of work, and I feel like I put in my greatest effort. I am pleased with the overall quality of my work.

4. How could I perform better in the next unit?
Time-management. ABSOLUTELY.

REGARDING THE UNIT (adapted from Stephen Brookfield, University of St. Thomas "Critical Incident Questionnaire")
1. At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?
During the building of the cell models. I was active, interested, and excited as things started coming together in areas I was unsure.

2. At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course?
After the umpteenth hour in a row of compendium review. :)

3. What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that find most affirming and helpful? Professor Frolich has been amazing to me. He has been kind, understanding, helpful, and ever-so-patient with the plethora of emails I've already sent him. He has been more than accomodating, and I appreciate his eagerness to help his students. I also received a couple of helpful comments / feedback from other students in the class on the Ning network. I think that it is a great network for us as students, and I enjoyed the correspondence.


4. What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing? I can't say anyone (teacher or student anyhow) did anything to confuse or puzzle me. Now, the microsoft techs... THEY are another story. :)


5. What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.) Pure and simple: the amount of work in general and the overall time it required to complete it.

No comments: